P: (615) 238-6310
F: (615) 687-2200
Charles W. Bone is the founder and chairman of Bone McAllester Norton PLLC. He serves as a classic “Trusted Adviser” to clients seeking advice on corporate and litigation issues, especially when it comes to “bet the company” matters. His experience covers many industries and areas of law, including business formation, mergers and acquisitions, capital creation, joint ventures, financial institutions, media law and government relations.
Charles on… law, life and passion.
Throughout his career, Charles has served in leadership positions for both public and private companies and financial institutions. Charles was County Attorney for Sumner County, Tennessee, for more than 20 years, and he served as counsel to the Independent Bankers of Tennessee. He presently serves as General Counsel to the Tennessee Municipal Bond Fund. Before founding Bone McAllester Norton in 2002, he led the Nashville offices of two regional law firms.
Charles is an outspoken proponent of diversity in the legal profession. In 2006, he spoke at the Tennessee Bar Association’s Annual Diversity Summit, focusing on recruitment, hiring and retention solutions for minorities at Tennessee law firms. Following this presentation, he was invited to speak at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York’s event, “Finding a Voice for Women of Color at Law Firms: Unique Challenges and Collaborative Solutions,” as well as an event hosted by the Leadership Academy for Women of Color Attorneys in Atlanta.
A longtime contributor to Nashville’s nonprofit community, Charles is the first Emeritus member of the Board of Directors of Salvus, Inc., an initiative he founded with a local physician to provide quality healthcare to uninsured individuals.
Another one of Charles’ passions is politics. He was a leader in organizing the campaign that defeated the 2009 “English Only” referendum in Nashville. He has worked in Democratic political activities for many years and has advised Democrats at every level of politics. From 1976 through 2000, he was active in every campaign for former Vice President Al Gore and worked extensively with the Gore for President efforts.
Charles is married to Baylor Bone, owner of Baylor Bone Interiors located in Hendersonville. He has two children, Charles Robert Bone, an attorney and member of this law firm, and Baylor Bone Swindell, also an attorney and lobbyist with the Windrow Group in Nashville. He has six grandchildren, Margaret McKay Bone, Anne Carlen Bone, Simmons Louise Bone, Brady Bone Swindell, Charles Henry Bone and Jane Baylor Swindell.
He has been an avid runner for many years and is proud to say that the highlight of his running career was when he completed the first Country Music Marathon in 2000 with both of his children. Since then, he has completed 40 half marathons in 15 states.
- • Tennessee Intercollegiate State Legislature Governor’s Council
- • Vanderbilt Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions: Advisory Board Member of the Vanderbilt Poll
- • Transit Alliance of Middle Tennessee: Chairman
- • Tennessee Higher Education Commission: Member (appointed by former Gov. Phil Bredesen)
- • Nashville’s Agenda: Steering Committee Member
- • Leadership Nashville: Alumnus, Board Member
- • Conexion Americas: 2010 Annual Breakfast Co-Chair
- • Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition: Advisory Board Member
- • Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee: Chair, 2010 Campaign for Equal Justice
- • Salvus, Inc.: Emeritus Member, Board of Directors
- • Youth Life Learning Centers: Former Board Member
- • Cumberland Region Tomorrow: Moderator of Power of Ten Summit; Former Executive Committee and Board Member
- • American Heart Association: 2011 and 2012 Executive Leadership Teams
- • Vanderbilt Center for Nashville Studies: Community Advisory Board
- • Community Nashville, Annual Dinner Co-Chair 2012
- • Nelson & Sue Andrews Institute for Civic Leadership, 2012
- Administrative Law
- Banking and Financial Services
- Business and Corporate Law
- Entrepreneurial and Emerging Business Law
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1970
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1968
- Tennessee, 1971
- Best Lawyers, 2014
- Selected as a "Top Rated Lawyer in Banking & Finance Law," 2013, The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel
- Award for Regional Thinking & Action, Cumberland Region Tomorrow, 2012
- Good Guy, Women's Political Collaborative of Tennessee, 2012
- Human Relations Award, CommunityNashville, 2011
- Best of the Bar,Nashville Business Journal
- Sumner County’s Top 30 Most Influential People, Tennessean
- In Charge,Nashville Post
- Healthcare Hero, Community Leader category, Nashville Business Journal
- AV© Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Nashville Bar Association: Board of Directors, Past Member
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Sumner County Bar Association: Past President