Anne Sumpter Arney has more than 30 years of experience working with many Nashville healthcare companies and medical professionals. She advises her healthcare clients on matters related to business law and transactional issues, as well as assisting them in navigating ever changing healthcare laws and regulations. Anne’s experience includes matters related to preparing and filing Certificate of Need (CON) applications, negotiating a variety of healthcare provider contracts, and assisting clients with matters that arise from the complex healthcare laws. In addition to her health law practice, Anne advises both healthcare and non-healthcare entrepreneurs on how to start, grow, operate, and sell their businesses.
- Analyzing regulatory issues affecting the operation of healthcare providers and the structuring of healthcare joint ventures.
- Assisting medical professionals and their practices in forming professional business entities, reviewing and negotiating contracts and regulatory compliance.
- Representing businesses in sophisticated transactions including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and equity placements or redemptions.
- Preparing and filing Certificate of Need (CON) applications.
- Negotiating a variety of healthcare provider contracts.
- Assisting clients in forming or unwinding businesses, practices and management relationships, and resolving a variety of operation issues.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Health Care Heroes, Nashville Business Journal, 2014
- Women to Watch, Nashville Medical News, 2014
- InCharge Healthcare List, Nashville Medical News, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal, 2015, 2016, 2018
- American Bar Association: Section on Health Law
- American Health Lawyers Association: Physician Organization Practice Group
- Lawyers Association for Women: Past President
- Nashville Bar Association: Board of Directors, 2007-2010
- Nashville Bar Foundation: Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Association: Health Law Section
- Tennessee Bar Foundation: Fellow
- Past Member of the IOLTA Grant Committee
- Tennessee Board of Medical Examiner’s Committee on Physician’s Assistants: Past Member
- Green Hills Rotary Club: Past President
- Nashville Bar Association Pro Bono Program: Past Member of the Board of Directors
- Nashville Arts Commission: Past Member of the Grant Committee
- Outlook Nashville, Inc.: Past President of the Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Nashville Beer Permit Board: Past Chair
Anne is a frequent guest speaker on healthcare and corporate law-related topics for industry and professional associations.
- “Access to Care & Physician Extenders,” Nashville Medical News
- “The High Cost of Failing to Comply with HIPAA,” Nashville Medical News
- “Third Circuit Addresses Hospital Contract with Hospital Based Physicians Group,” Physician Organizations Newsletter of the American Health Lawyers Association
- “HIPAA: What It Stands For and a Little More,” The Nashville Bar Journal
- “Letters of Intent in Buying and Selling a Business,” The Nashville Business Journal
- “Fraud Alert: Hospital Incentives to Physicians,” Nashville Medical News
- “Buying a Medical Practice,” Nashville Medical News
A third-generation lawyer and active community leader, Anne represents businesses and healthcare professionals in a variety of corporate, operational, and regulatory matters.
Anne Sumpter Arney in the News