Charles Robert Bone concentrates his law practice in the areas of economic development, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and advising emerging businesses, entrepreneurs, officers and directors and governmental entities, including serving as general counsel for the Convention Center Authority of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. He has also represented clients in various complex litigation matters in both state and federal courts across Tennessee.
Charles Robert is known for providing his clients with good judgment, strategic counsel and practical advice. According to the Nashville Business Journal, Charles Robert “hails from one of Nashville’s most prominent legal and political families” and represents “some of the splashiest names in town” and connects “many of the city’s power players.”
Charles Robert says the best part about being a lawyer is helping people solve what seem like insurmountable problems or helping business owners implement their vision. He serves as President & CEO of Bone McAllester Norton. In addition to his law practice, Charles Robert has been instrumental in developing several Tennessee-based companies as an entrepreneur, investor and board member, including as a founder of Phoenix Boats (Winchester, Tennessee), the Southern Steak & Oyster restaurant and Acme Feed & Seed. He also serves as a partner in and on the investment committee for the Tennessee Angel Fund, a statewide co-investment fund and on the local board of directors for ServisFirst Bank.
Representative transactions include multiple private placements/exempt offerings (debt and equity) and multiple sales of closely held companies to public companies, including representing the Smoky Mountain Property Management Group, consisting of a collection of companies and brands, in its sale to Wyndham Vacation Rentals, and Quality Liaison Services of North America in its sale to TRP Capital Partners. In addition, Charles Robert has been instrumental in assisting with acquisition, capitalization and/or private placement of more than fifteen restaurants and holding companies.
Representative economic development matters include representing investors and developers such as Southwest Value Partners in its redevelopment of the former LifeWay Campus into Nashville Yards, a 15-acre development spanning the western edge of downtown Nashville, stretching from Broadway past Church Street. The project is one of the largest redevelopment projects in the history of downtown Nashville.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Power 100, 2015, 2016, 2017, Nashville Business Journal
- Most Admired CEO, 2016, Nashville Business Journal
- Nashville Bar Foundation Fellow, 2016
- Nashville Administrative/ Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers in America, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Best of the Bar, 2014, 2016 Nashville Business Journal
- Top 10 Influences for Tennessee, Campaigns & Elections, 2012
- In Charge List, Nashville Post, 2010-2011
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Mid-South Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Mayor Megan Barry: Transition Committee, Chair
- Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency Urban Development (MDHA): Commissioner
- Cheekwood: Board Member, Executive Committee and Secretary
- Oasis Center: Board Member
- Hands on Nashville: Board Member, Executive Committee and Chair of Governance Committee
- Safe Haven Family Shelter: Advisory Board
- Tennessee State University: Transition Advisory Committee Member
- Entrepreneur’s Organization: Member
- Tennessee Governor’s Prayer Breakfast: Citizen’s Committee Member
- Nashville Food Waste Initiative: Advisory Committee Member
- Leadership Tennessee, Class Member, 2015
- Oak Hill School Annual Fund: Chair, 2013-2014
- March of Dimes March for Babies Walk: Chair, 2014
- Family & Children’s Services Winter Lights: Honorary Co-Chair, 2014
Charles Robert has also been active in high-profile political campaigns since 1990 and has participated in various campaign efforts, including serving as the Finance Chair for Mayor Karl Dean’s 2018 campaign for Governor of Tennessee and United States Congressman Harold Ford, Jr.’s 2006 campaign for the United States Senate. Charles Robert also served on President Barack Obama’s 2008 and 2012 National Finance Committees, including raising more than $500,000 for the President’s re-election campaign. Charles Robert was a candidate for Mayor of Nashville in 2015 and then was honored to serve as the Chair of Mayor Megan Barry’s Transition Committee.
Charles Robert Bone Named to Nashville Business Journal “Power 100”
For a third year, Bonelaw President and CEO Charles Robert Bone was named to the Nashville Business Journal’s Power 100. The list recognizes the Nashville-area leaders who have the greatest impact and influence on the region’s business scene. Charles Robert was noted as representing some of the “splashiest names” in Nashville, including the investment group behind the $1 billion redevelopment of the former LifeWay Christian Resources’ downtown campus. Nashville Yards, the proposed 15-acre multi-use development, would contain residential, retail, an over 590 room hotel and several entertainment venues. A commissioner for the Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency, Bone also continues to serve as general counsel to the Convention Center Authority.
You can review the full Power 100 list here.
About Charles Robert
Charles Robert is an avid runner, entrepreneur at heart, has a passion for politics and public service. Despite being a lawyer, he finds himself regularly manipulated and overrun by his four children ranging in ages from 8 years old to 16 years old.