Emily focuses her practice in the areas of labor and employment, education law, victim's rights, and general litigation. Her practice consists of counseling businesses on issues including drafting non-compete agreements, employee handbooks and policies, and employer legal matters. She has experience in advising employers on employee discipline, workplace investigations, leaves of absence, and terminations. She represents public and private employers in federal and state court, and in administrative proceedings before federal and state agencies on a variety of claims. Her experience includes wrongful discharge, retaliation, discrimination and harassment.
Emily represents public boards of education, private schools, and universities across the State of Tennessee. She advises her clients on issues of school board policies, student discipline, employee and student rights, Title IX compliance and investigations, special education and disability accommodation, and other legal matters unique to educational institutions.
Since joining Bone McAllester Norton, Emily has represented songwriters, recording artists, and other entertainment industry clients in cases involving novel issues of law.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018
- Executive Board of Directors Member, Young Lawyers’ Division Nashville Bar Association, 2017
- Board of Directors Member, Young Lawyers’ Division Nashville Bar Association, 2014 – Present
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court Member, 2017 – Present
- American Bar Association TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy, 2016
- Tennessee Council of School Board Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Young Leaders Council Nashville, 2017
- Nashville Hospitality Service Providers
- Member of Nashville Running Company Race Team
- Avoiding Legal Hazards in the Construction Industry, AMC Safety Consultants, March 2018.
- Staying out of the Doghouse: U.S. Supreme Court’s Recent IDEA Decision May Lead to Increased Litigation for School Districts, Tennessee Association for Administrators in Special Education, December, 2017
- ADA and Website Accessibility, Lewis Thomason Annual Employment Law Seminar, December, 2017
- Top Five Pitfalls of Employment Law, Jack-in-the-Box National Franchisee Association Conference, July, 2017
- Developments in Employment Law: What Employers Need to Know, Denny’s Franchisee Association Annual Meeting, October, 2016
- Understanding the FLSA and What to Expect with the Final Rule, Nashville Originals and Sysco’s Partnering for Success, November, 2016.
- Seven Deadly Sins of Employment Law, Lewis Thomason Annual Employment Law Seminar, November, 2016
- Transgender Students: Navigating a Transforming Legal Landscape, Tennessee Council of School Board Attorneys Winter CLE, February, 2016.
- How to Conduct a Workplace Investigation, Lewis Thomason Annual Employment Law Seminar, December, 2015.
- Impact of ADAAA on Employer Practices, Volunteer State Community College, January, 2015.
- When Civil Rights Aren’t Civil: Board/Board Member Exposure in Civil Rights Lawsuits, Tennessee School Board Association Summer Law Conference, June 2015.
- What’s New and Why Do I Care? Tennessee Employment Law Legislative Update, Lewis Thomason Annual Employment Law Seminar, December 2014.
Emily is an avid runner; she has completed over ten full marathons. When she is not practicing law or running, Emily enjoys travelling, University of Tennessee football, and spending time with friends and family.