Johnny C. Garrett IV focuses his practice in the areas of business transactions and formations, civil and commercial litigation, family law, estate planning and probate. He works at both the Nashville and Sumner County offices.
In 2005 Johnny joined Bone McAllester Norton as a law clerk while in law school. As a lawyer, Johnny has grown his practice to include small and medium size businesses, individuals who need assistance in the probate and estate planning stages of their lives and all clients who find themselves in litigation. He also steps into a general counsel role with many of his clients when their needs do not justify an in-house counsel.
The most rewarding part of being a lawyer for Johnny is the opportunity to gain people’s trust. Through consistent and diligent counsel, he is able to guide his clients through some of the most challenging and difficult times in their lives. Johnny enjoys serving his clients and solving their legal problems through litigation or negotiation.
- Defends and pursues claims for small to medium size businesses
- Successfully defends individuals and businesses in all litigation matters.
Estate Planning, Probate Law, Wills and Trust
- Assists clients in the preparation of various estate planning documents including but not limited to:
- Last Wills and Testaments Durable
- General Powers of Attorney
- Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Living Wills
- Create Family Foundations
- Tennessee Community Property Trusts
- Tennessee Tenancy by the Entirety Trusts
- Tennessee Investment Services Trusts
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Handles complex probate cases involving but not limited to:
- Estates with Business Interests
- Estates Subject to Federal and Estate Taxes
- Multimillion-Dollar Estates
- Estate and Probate Litigation
- Drafts commercial and residential lease agreements
- Drafts loan documents
- Contested divorce of all types including large assets, alimony and child support matters
- Contested custody matters
- Defends orders of protection
Non-Profits and Tax-Exempt Entities
- Assists various types of 501 (c) entities in forming the organization, obtaining tax exempt status, filing IRS form 1023 and other applicable forms.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Tennessee House of Representatives 45th District, Member
- Nashville Bar Association
- Sumner County Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Goodlettsville Chamber of Commerce
- Hendersonville Chamber of Commerce
- White House Chamber of Commerce
In 2018, Johnny was elected State Representatives for the 45th District, which includes Cottontown, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, Millersville, Shackle Island, Walnut Grove, and White House of Sumner County.
While also practicing law, Johnny remains active in the Sumner County community. He is a board member of the United Way of Sumner County, a graduate of Leadership Sumner, and a member of the Hendersonville Rotary Club. Johnny serves on the President’s Advisory Board at Goodpasture Christian School and is President of the Goodlettsville Baseball program. He believes the talents he has as a lawyer provide an obligation to give back to his community. Co-Founder and Board member of the 100 Club of Sumner County, Inc.
- Tennessee House of Representatives 45th District
- Co-Founder and Board member of the 100 Club of Sumner County, Inc.
- United Way of Sumner County: Board Member
- Goodpasture Christian School: President’s Advisory Board
- Leadership Sumner: 2007 Graduate and Board Member
- Volunteer State Community College Foundation Board Member
- Hendersonville Rotary Club member
- Goodlettsville Help Center
- President of Goodlettsville Baseball, Inc.
Johnny resides in Goodlettsville with his wife and their three children, Jackson, Ella and Addie along with their dogs, Lizzie, a Corgi, and Layla, a miniature Australian Shepherd. Johnny loves a good argument, but loves even more winning a good argument. Despite his passion for winning a good debate, his children remain undefeated.
While growing up in Goodlettsville, he learned about hard work and responsibility. At 15, his first job was throwing out the trash at the Bank of Goodlettsville. In the Summer time, Johnny would often work funerals at Cole & Garrett Funeral Home. Although the family businesses seemed promising, he went on to become a lawyer where he enjoys meeting people in his hometown. Johnny loves the excitement, comradery, and unity that come from crowds. His core family values and upbringing have taught him when to be the voice for his family, friends, and clients and when he must listen. Johnny enjoys spending time with his family, baseball, hunting, and playing golf with his son, Jackson. He also loves the Tennessee Vols.