Jonathan R. Burns concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning, probate, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, and taxation.
Before joining Bone McAllester Norton, Jonathan practiced law in Nashville at an esteemed local firm. Here he sharpened his skills in the areas of business law and estate planning.
While in law school at the University of Mississippi, Jonathan discovered his desire to help others make sure their financial affairs were in order from a legal standpoint. He then went on to pursue and obtain an L.L.M. in Taxation from Washington University in St. Louis with a primary focus on estate planning.
Estate Planning, Probate Law, Wills and Trusts
- Assists clients in the preparation of various estate planning documents including but not limited to:
- Last Wills and Testaments
- Durable General Powers of Attorney
- Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Living Wills
- Tennessee Community Property Trusts
- Tennessee Tenancy by the Entirety Trusts
- Tennessee Investment Services Trusts
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Charitable Lead Trusts
- Assists clients in the following strategies:
- Sales and Gifts to Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust (IDGT)
- Sales and Gifts to Grantor Retained Annuity Trust (GRAT)
- Handles complex probate cases involving but not limited to:
- Estates with Business Interests
- Estates Subject to Federal and Estate Taxes
- Multimillion-Dollar Estates
Business & Corporate Law
- Assisted client in obtaining disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) status.
- Represented seller in $30 million sale of oil change & service center company with approximately 30 locations.
- Represented seller in $25 million sale of optical business.
- Represented seller in $3 million sale of software company.
- Represented seller in multimillion dollar sale of water bottling company.
- Represented seller in multimillion dollar sale of landscaping/outdoor services business.
- Represented seller in multimillion dollar sale of bedding company.
- Represented seller in the sale of trucking business.
- Represented seller in the sale of grave vault business.
- Represented buyer in the purchase of accounting firm.
Non-Profits and Tax-Exempt Entities
- Assists various types of 501 (c) entities in forming the organization, obtaining tax exempt status, filing IRS form 1023 and other applicable forms.
- Drafts commercial and residential lease agreements.
- Serves as qualified intermediary for 1031 transactions.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Middle Tennessee
Jonathan lives in Franklin with his wife Amy and together they have two children. They are active members of Clearview Baptist Church. Jonathan enjoys being on the golf course whenever time allows.