Maria’s practice focuses on business litigation and labor employment law representing companies and individuals. She has extensive experience in matters concerning race discrimination, gender and pregnancy discrimination, FMLA violations, retaliatory discharge, FLSA noncompetition disputes, employment discrimination and alternative dispute resolutions. She strives to do good work for her clients and the community.
Maria left her Southern California roots to follow her husband who is a captain in the Army and a West Point graduate. They are currently stationed at Ft. Campbell and live in Clarksville, TN. Maria was one of the first to take advantage of Tennessee’s Military Spouse Licensing Law, enacted in early 2016, which grants a Tennessee law license to military spouses who are licensed in another state.
This California native received her undergraduate degree from the University of Southern California and her juris doctor from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. She previously worked for the firms DLA Piper and Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Ongoing defense of company in federal court in putative class action alleging consumer protection violations.
- Ongoing representation of home builders in copyright infringement litigation involving architecture.
- Successfully appealed a wrongful death suit in the Tennessee Court of Appeal.
Labor and Employment
- Represents employees and employers in state and federal courts involving Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other employment discrimination, FLSA, noncompetition disputes and alternative dispute resolutions.
- Represents employees and employers in race discrimination, gender and pregnancy discrimination, FMLA violations and retaliatory discharge.
Non-Profits and Tax-Exempt Entities
- Serves as outside general counsel to 501 (c) 3 and 501 (c) 4 organizations.
Student Loan Law
- Offers student loan consultations to help borrowers develop a game plan for managing their loans, including optimizing income-driven repayment plans and qualifying for public service loan forgiveness.
- Represents individual student loan borrowers in borrower defense and total and permanent disability discharge applications.
Professional Recognition and Activities
Since Maria's move to Tennessee, she quickly became active in many professional activities, including the Nashville Bar Association and Lawyers’ Association for Women. She is dedicated to pro bono service and gives her time to the Tennessee Justice Center and Military Spouse JD Network (MSJDN). Maria is a proud founding member of MSJDN and serves as the Communications Director.
- American Bar Association Center for Innovation Fellow, Class of 2018
- Nashville Bar Association
- Lawyers’ Association for Women
- Co-Chair, Practicing Parents Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Diversity Committee
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Diversity Committee
- Military Spouse JD Network
- Communications Director
- Women for Tennessee’s Future
- Events Coordinator
Maria is fueled by her faith and desire to do good work for clients. She is currently training for the Nashville Half Marathon, noting she would, “go the extra mile for family, a good story, and an extra bite of chocolate.”
Maria Q. Campbell in the News