Stephen Zralek is a problem solver. Having practiced over 20 years, he is a commercial litigator who focuses on intellectual property, business and entertainment disputes. Clients seek Stephen’s advice as a result of his experience in the courtroom, his creative problem solving, his tenacity and his engaging approach.
Stephen has spent over two decades helping clients resolve complex disputes involving copyrights, trademarks, rights of publicity, trade secrets, non-compete violations, defamation, domain disputes, and disputes in the business and entertainment arenas. Stephen routinely appears in in federal court, chancery court or the Tennessee Business Court, at both the trial and appellate level.
In addition to representing clients from the Nashville area, Stephen is routinely called on by clients, lawyers and in-house counsel from other cities to represent them here or to serve as local counsel in Tennessee state and federal courts. Additionally, clients in the political realm call on Stephen to advise them on legal issues, campaign finance and election contests.
Upon graduating from law school, Stephen served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Thomas A. Wiseman, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
- Ongoing defense of company in federal court in putative class action alleging consumer protection violations
- Ongoing representation of home builders in copyright infringement litigation involving architecture
- Ongoing representation of business accused of fraud and misrepresentation in asset sale in Tennessee Business Court
- Ongoing service as outside general counsel to international design firm on day-to-day basis, related to IP, contracts, dispute resolution and avoidance, and employment advice
- Ongoing representation of music publisher in copyright infringement case
- Ongoing representation of attorney in action arising out of allegations he committed legal malpractice
- Ongoing service as outside general counsel to business management firm
- Ongoing representation of partnerships in defense of fraud claims involving private aviation
- Representation of television production company in dispute with studio over lease
- Representation of national non-profit in proceeding before state body, defending against claims of campaign finance violations
- Routinely handling matters involving temporary restraining orders, temporary injunctions, estate disputes involving royalties
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Leadership Nashville, Class of 2014-15
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers - Mid-South for Intellectual Property Litigation
- Super Lawyers - Tennessee: The Top 100 Attorneys, 2014
- Avvo 10 out of 10
- American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Copyright Litigation Committee
- Trademark Litigation Committee and Sections of Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Nashville Bar Association
- Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Intellectual Property Section
- Federal Courts Section
- Tennessee Bar Association: Member & 2007 Leadership Law Program graduate
- Sexual Assault Center: Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Conexión Américas: Chair of the Board (2013-2015); Board Member (2009-2016); Board of Ambassadors (2016- present)
- Percy Priest Extended Day Program: Board (2016-present)
- The Children’s House of Nashville: Board Member (2013-2016)
- Nashville For All of Us: Past Chair
- Family & Children’s Service: Chair of the Board of Directors (2007-08); Board Member (2001-09); Advisory Board (2015-Present)
Stephen is a frequent speaker and author on issues in intellectual property litigation. He has been quoted by USA Today, Managing IP and Young Entrepreneur; and featured in the ABA Journal. He co-authored “The Pro-IP Act: Another Weapon Against a Failing Economy,” published by the ABA’s Landslide magazine, as well as “Race is On to Recapture Copyrights,” published by the Tennessean.
Stephen was born and raised in Nashville. He and his wife, an interior designer, have two children.
- Excellent attorney. Have worked with on more than one occassion.
Rated by a Principal on 07/30/12 in Intellectual Property
- Excellent, conscientious lawyer
Rated by a Partner on 07/09/12 in Litigation
- My primary involvement with Mr. Zralek has been working with him on the Executive Committee of a local non-profit corporation which he served as Board Chair. Although I have more limited direct dealings with him in other legal matters, I believe I know enough about his overall legal ability through our Board service to rate him highly in every category.
Rated by a Member on 08/04/12 in Intellectual Property
- Mr. Zralek did an outstanding job in complex litigation involving land use and takings. I was extremely impressed with hsi knowledge, ability and artfulness in handling this difficult litigation.
Rated by a Judge on 10/11/10 in Litigation
- One of the finest lawyers I know.
Rated by a Partner on 09/27/10 in Entertainment Litigation