Suzanne Kessler is an entertainment and intellectual property law attorney. She provides counsel and consulting services to traditional and new media clients. Her clients include record labels, recording artists, music publishers, songwriters, artist managers, film and television production companies and independent producers, and digital music and media start-ups.
She is also a documentary filmmaker, artist manager, and music production company co-owner. In addition, Suzanne is in her 12th year as an Adjunct Professor at Vanderbilt Law School, teaching intellectual property licensing and entertainment law within the Vanderbilt Intellectual Property Program.
Suzanne previously served as Vice President of Business Development at Universal Music Group Nashville; She was Director of Business and Legal Affairs at Universal Music Group corporate and at A&M Records in Los Angeles; and she was an attorney in private practice with Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman, LLP, an entertainment law firm in Beverly Hills, California.
Among Suzanne’s creative production credit highlights are:
- Executive Producer: Mandy Barnett – I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson album (Rounder Records/Concord Music Group and CB Music);
- Executive Producer: Mandy Barnett – Winter Wonderland album and accompanying video (Rounder Records/Concord Music Group);
- Co-Producer: Hairdos and Heartaches: The Women of Country Music documentary (A&E Television Network and The Biography Channel);
- Co-Producer: Journey Home: On a Mission to Save a Species documentary (for the Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Juno Beach, Florida);
- Executive Producer: Highway to Fame unscripted television series (WealthTV, Legacy, TUFF TV, My Family TV, Caribvision and American Primetime TV networks).
- Executive Producer: American Masters: Patsy Cline documentary (national PBS)
- Executive Producer: Monkey Business: The Adventures of Curious George’s Creators documentary (Hulu)
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Nashville Bar Association President’s Award
- Nashville Bar Association Keeping the Torch Award
- Leadership Music, Class of 2005
- Nashville Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Entertainment, Sports and Media Law Committee, past
- Chair, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee, past
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Copyright Society of the South
- Country Music Association
- Academy of Country Music
- W.O. Smith Music School: Board Member, Past Advisory Council
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS): Legal Counsel
- Nashville Symphony Orchestra: Past Board Member
Speaking and Published Articles
- Fair Use in Visual Art series of articles, Nashville Arts Magazine, 2016-17
- “Disruptive Technologies: The Transformation of Intellectual Property & Enterprise on the Horizon”, Panelist, JETLaw Symposium, February 2017
Suzanne Kessler wears many hats, including attorney, adjunct professor, filmmaker and artist manager. Her creative spirit and entrepreneurial drive keep her moving and focused on the next project in the works.