Justin Adams is an experienced business lawyer and litigator. He represents companies and individuals in corporate, health care, and employment transactions and disputes, often in the role of outside general counsel. Justin also represents individuals in criminal and civil investigations.
Through his career, Justin has served as outside general counsel to health care companies and other businesses, represented buyers and sellers in multi-million dollar health care transactions, and advised health care companies on Stark and Anti-Kickback issues. His experience as a litigator includes helping businesses and individuals win victories and negotiate favorable settlements in complex commercial, employment, and regulatory disputes as well as state and federal criminal cases and government investigations.
Before joining Bone McAllester Norton PLLC, Justin practiced for thirteen years with Trauger & Tuke where he focused on corporate, health care, and employment law as well as civil litigation and criminal defense. Prior to beginning his legal practice, Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Andrew J. Kleinfeld of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Represented seller in $10 million sale of home health agency.
- Represented purchaser in $2.5 million clinic acquisition.
- Represented seller in $2 million sale of hospital.
- Represented pain clinic in multiple acquisitions.
- Represented seller of dental practice.
- Represented purchaser of veterinary practice.
- Represented shareholders and members in corporate and LLC disputes and dissolutions.
- Serves as outside general counsel to various small businesses.
- Assisted in the formation of numerous corporations, LLCs, and other entities.
- Representing physicians in False Claims Act investigations and litigation.
- Advised respiratory therapy company on Anti-Kickback issues in hospital and home health agency contracts.
- Advised medical practice on Stark and Anti-Kickback issues in proposed investments in laboratory and pharmacy.
- Advised telemedicine practice, pharmacy, EEG provider, and other health care providers on state licensure and other regulatory matters.
- Reviewed and drafted HIPAA business associate agreements for numerous health care entities.
- Represented hospital management company in negotiation of contract with major hospital system.
- Drafted laboratory management contract for start-up.
- Advised psychiatric hospital on involuntary committals, conservatorships, and advance directives.
- Defended physicians, speech therapist, occupational therapist, and nurses in disciplinary proceedings before professional regulatory boards.
- Defended physicians in disciplinary proceedings before hospital peer review committees.
- Obtained psychiatric hospital’s certificate of need application in face of opposition from multiple competitors.
- Litigated certificate of need appeals regarding rehabilitation hospital, home health agency, and ambulatory surgery center.
- Advises private recycling company on all employment matters including employee contracts, unemployment compensation laws, and wage and hour issues.
- Advised respiratory therapy company on all employment matters including severance agreements for executives, reduction-in-force, wage garnishments, and new hire reporting.
- Advised public housing agency on all employment matters including disciplinary appeals, personnel policy revisions, EEOC charges, union matters, and drug testing.
- Negotiated employment contracts for numerous physicians and other health care professionals, including orthopedists joining major multi-specialty practice, OB/GYN residents signing hospital recruiting agreement, and hospitalists.
- Negotiated severance agreements for employees and employers in health care and other sectors.
- Advised employees in health care and other sectors regarding noncompetition agreements.
- Represented health care professional in declaratory judgment action challenging noncompetition agreement resulting in negotiated release of agreement.
- Negotiated dissolution of psychiatric practice.
- Prosecuted arbitration claim by physician against former practice.
- Defended consumer advocacy organization in former employee’s Americans with Disabilities Act action in U.S. District Court, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defended nurse staffing company in former employee’s wage and hour action in U.S. District Court, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Won jury verdict in Williamson County Chancery Court against sales representative’s former employer for unpaid commissions.
- Won judgment in bench trial in Davidson County Chancery Court against consignee of dental laboratory products for breach of consignment agreement.
- Won declaratory judgment in Davidson County Chancery Court holding, for first time in Tennessee, that hair removal by “threading” (an ancient practice in India and Arabia) does not require cosmetology license.
- Won declaratory judgment in Davidson County Chancery Court voiding action of state commission for violation of open meetings laws.
- Won summary judgment in United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee striking down residency requirement for retail liquor stores and drafted appellate brief defending that judgment in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in complex commercial dispute involving multiple partition actions and action to enforce foreign judgment.
- Prosecuted fraud action in U.S. District Court by Canadian dental laboratory against software company, resulting in agreed judgment against defendant.
- Defended defamation action in Davidson County Circuit Court against consumer advocacy organization, resulting in voluntary dismissal.
- Representing physicians in federal investigations of False Claims Act and Travel Act violations.
- Won jury verdict acquitting client of aggravated assault in Davidson County Criminal Court.
- Represented witness in federal grand jury proceeding threatened with prosecution for perjury and obstruction of justice.
- Represented physician in federal investigation False Claims Act violations and wire fraud by psychiatric practice.
- Prosecuted appeal of felony conviction to Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals, resulting in finding of prosecutorial misconduct.
- Defended individuals and obtained favorable settlements in DUI, theft, burglary, drug trafficking, gun, and aggravated assault cases.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell