Justin Adams is an experienced business lawyer and litigator. He represents companies and individuals in corporate, health care, and employment transactions and disputes, often in the role of outside general counsel. Justin also represents individuals in criminal and civil investigations.
Through his career, Justin has served as outside general counsel to health care companies and other businesses, represented buyers and sellers in multi-million dollar health care transactions, and advised health care companies on Stark and Anti-Kickback issues. His experience as a litigator includes, helping businesses and individuals win victories and negotiate favorable settlements in complex commercial, employment, and regulatory disputes as well as state and federal criminal cases and government investigations.
Before joining Bone McAllester Norton PLLC., Justin practiced for thirteen years with Trauger & Tuke where he focused on corporate, health care, and employment law as well as civil litigation and criminal defense. Prior to beginning his legal practice, Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Andrew J. Kleinfeld of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Represented seller in $10 million sale of home health agency.
- Represented purchaser in $2.5 million clinic acquisition.
- Served as outside general counsel to respiratory therapy company.
- Serves as outside general counsel to pain clinic.
- Assisted in the formation of numerous corporations, LLCs, and other entities.
- Advised respiratory therapy company on Anti-Kickback issues in hospital and home health agency contracts.
- Advised medical practice on Stark and Anti-Kickback issues in proposed investments in laboratory and pharmacy.
- Reviewed and drafted HIPAA business associate agreements for numerous health care entities.
- Represented hospital management company in negotiation of contract with major hospital system.
- Drafted laboratory management contract for start-up.
- Advised psychiatric hospital on involuntary committals, conservatorships, and advance directives.
- Defended speech pathologist and nurses in disciplinary proceedings before professional regulatory boards.
- Litigated certificate of need appeals regarding rehabilitation hospital, home health agency, and ambulatory surgery center.
- Serves as outside employment counsel to recycling company.
- Advised respiratory therapy company on all employment matters including severance agreements for executives, reduction-in-force, wage garnishments, and new hire reporting.
- Advise private recycling company on all employment matters including employee contracts, unemployment compensation laws, and former employee’s wage and hour claim.
- Advised public housing agency on all employment matters including disciplinary appeals, personnel policy revisions, EEOC charges, union matters, and drug testing.
- Negotiated employment contracts for numerous physicians, including orthopedists joining major multi-specialty practice, OB/GYN residents signing hospital recruiting agreement, and hospitalists.
- Prosecuting arbitration claim by physician against former practice.
- Defended consumer advocacy organization in former employee’s Americans with Disabilities Act action in U.S. District Court, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defended nurse staffing company in former employee’s wage and hour action in U.S. District Court, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Won jury verdict in Williamson County Chancery Court against sales representative’s former employer for unpaid commissions.
- Won declaratory judgment in Davidson County Chancery Court holding, for first time in Tennessee, that hair removal by “threading” (an ancient practice in India and Arabia) does not require cosmetology license.
- Won declaratory judgment in Davidson County Chancery Court voiding action of state commission for violation of open meetings laws.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in complex commercial dispute involving multiple partition actions and action to enforce foreign judgment.
- Prosecuted fraud action in U.S. District Court by Canadian dental laboratory against software company, resulting in agreed judgment against defendant.
- Defended defamation action in Davidson County Circuit Court against consumer advocacy organization, resulting in voluntary dismissal.
- Won jury verdict acquitting client of aggravated assault in Davidson County Criminal Court.
- Represented witness in federal grand jury proceeding threatened with prosecution for perjury and obstruction of justice.
- Prosecuted appeal of felony conviction to Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals, resulting in finding of prosecutorial misconduct.
- Defended individuals and obtained favorable settlements in DUI, theft, burglary, and aggravated assault cases.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Admitted to practice in Tennessee, 2003
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Outstanding legal knowledge and composure.
Rated by a Partner on 12/12/14 in Criminal Law