Sam practices in the areas of labor and employment and education law focusing on a variety of legal issues including employment of licensed and classified employees, employee contracts, employee and student discipline, employee and student rights, special education and disability accommodation, First Amendment issues, sexual harassment and civil rights matters, desegregation, tort liability, school finance and taxation, and school construction. With extensive experience in general defense litigation, product liability, labor and employment law, transportation, and workers’ compensation law, Sam has represented boards of education and other business entities and individuals in various federal and state actions and administrative actions across Tennessee.
- Representation of boards of education across the state involving employment of licensed and classified employees, employee contracts, employee and student discipline, employee and student rights, special education and disability accommodation, First Amendment issues, sexual harassment and civil rights matters, desegregation, tort liability, school finance and taxation, and school construction.
- Representation of principal business owners in the successful mediation of various errors and omission matters.
- Successfully defended employers in workers’ compensation matters including defenses concerning traveling to and from work, workplace safety violations, and violations of drug policy.
- Defended employers in state and federal courts involving violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act and other discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Successfully defended manufacturers and sellers of products in products liability actions in state and federal court.
- Successfully defended individuals and businesses in personal injury actions across Tennessee.
- Successfully represented individuals and business entities in regard to real estate transactions across the state.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Elected to Order of Curia Honoris
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014
- Former law clerk for the Honorable Glen M. Williams, Senior United States District Judge for the Western District of Virginia
- Past President, Tennessee Council of School Board Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Sam is very active in the community. Currently he serves on the Board of the Sexual Assault Center in Nashville. He also serves on the Board of the Calvary United Methodist Church Young Children’s School, where he serves as chair of the personnel committee.
Sam resides in Nashville with his wife, Jessica, and daughters, Anna and Leah. He spends most of his free time at swim meets watching his daughters compete for Ensworth Aquatics. Mr. Jackson also enjoys spending time outdoors camping, hunting and hiking.
- Samuel is a very professional and skilled lawyer. Samuel is at the pinnacle of his profession, and is certainly worthy of the highest rating given.
Rated by a Partner on 11/25/14 in Education Law
- I have had the pleasure of working with Sam on several matters including on particularly contentious matter. At all times, Sam has remained highly professional, is well prepared, and has been an excellent advocate for his client. Sam has the respect of those on both sides of the V, as well as the bench.
Rated by a Partner on 11/24/14 in Labor and Employment
- I have known Sam Jackson since he was a law clerk for Judge Glen Williams, and also used him as local counsel in Nashville. He is a super guy and a very good lawyer.
Rated by a Partner on 11/30/14 in School Board Defense
- Sam is a very good attorney. He is good to work with and has great knowledge of the law.
Rated by a Partner on 11/24/14 in General Liability Defense
- Excellent legal skills and very hardworking.
Rated by a Member on 11/24/14 in Education Law
- Eastern Kentucky University, B.S., 1996
- Samford University, Cumberland College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2000
- Virginia, 2000
- Tennessee, 2001