Stephen Zralek is a problem solver. Having practiced over 20 years, Stephen is a business litigator who focuses on intellectual property and entertainment disputes. Clients seek Stephen’s advice as a result of his experience in the courtroom, his creative problem solving, his tenacity and his engaging approach. His personal philosophy is "Do great work, and take care of people".
Stephen has dedicated his career to helping clients resolve complex disputes involving class actions, copyrights, trademarks, rights of publicity, trade secrets, non-compete violations, defamation, domain disputes, and disputes in the business and entertainment arenas. Stephen routinely appears in federal court, chancery court and the Tennessee Business Court, at both the trial and appellate level.
In addition to representing clients from the Nashville area, Stephen is routinely called on by clients, lawyers and in-house counsel from other cities to represent them here or to serve as local counsel in Tennessee state and federal courts. Clients in the political realm also call on Stephen to advise them on legal issues, campaign finance and election contests.
Upon graduating from law school, Stephen served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Thomas A. Wiseman, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
- Won unanimous jury verdict in copyright infringement trial involving architecture, Singletary Construction v. Reda Home Builders, et al. (M.D. Tenn.)
- Won judgment in trademark infringement bench trial between two competing businesses, Clark v. Southall (Tennessee Business Court)
- Won jury trial on behalf of personal manager against celebrity in contract dispute, Cassetty v. McCreery (Chancery Court, Tennessee)
- Won appeal dismissing suit that claimed right of publicity violations, where we successfully established copyright preemption, Wells v. Chattanooga Bakery, Inc. (Tennessee Court of Appeals)
- Obtained partial summary judgment and partial dismissal in federal court class action asserting consumer protection violations, McClendon v. North Carolina Mutual (M.D. Tenn.)
- Obtained summary judgment in copyright infringement case by proving Plaintiff did not own a valid registration, Nason Homes v. Singletary Construction (M.D. Tenn.)
- Ongoing representation of clients in business disputes concerning issues of ownership, intellectual property, restrictive covenants and alleged misrepresentations
- Outside general counsel to international design firm on issues related to IP, contracts, dispute resolution and avoidance, and employment advice
- Outside general counsel to bespoke guitar company
- Regularly represent parties in business divorce dispute and probate matters involving disputes over music and publishing royalties
- Routinely serve as local counsel for out-of-state lawyers with litigation in Tennessee state and federal courts
- Routinely handling matters seeking temporary restraining orders and temporary injunctions
Professional Recognition and Activities
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers - Mid-South for Intellectual Property Litigation
- Super Lawyers - Tennessee: The Top 100 Attorneys
- Avvo 10 out of 10
- American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Copyright Litigation Committee
- Trademark Litigation Committee and Sections of Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Board of Professional Responsibility
- Hearing Committee, appointed by Tennessee Supreme Court (March 2020-present)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Nashville Bar Association
- Board of Directors (2017-present), Executive Committee (2018-present)
- Intellectual Property Section
- Federal Courts Section
- Tennessee Bar Association: Member & 2007 Leadership Law Program graduate
- St. Bernard Academy: Board of Trust (2019-present)
- Music City Music Council (MC2): Member (2019-present)
- Sexual Assault Center: Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Co-Chair of 1-in-6 Breakfast
- Treasure, Friends of Bob Freeman, Tennessee State Representative (2018-present)
- Leadership Nashville: Class of 2015
- Alumni Association Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Conexión Américas: Chair of the Board (2013-2015); Board Member (2009-2016); Board of Ambassadors (2016- present); Co-Chair of Cafecito (2011)
- Percy Priest Elementary School Extended Day Program: Board (2016-2018)
- The Children’s House of Nashville: Board Member (2013-2016)
- Nashville For All of Us: Past Chair
- Family & Children’s Service: Chair of the Board of Directors (2007-08); Board Member (2001-09); Advisory Board (2015-Present)
Stephen is a frequent speaker and author on issues in intellectual property litigation, business litigation, and litigating before the Tennessee Business Court. He has been quoted by USA Today, Managing IP and Young Entrepreneur; and featured in the ABA Journal. He co-authored “The Pro-IP Act: Another Weapon Against a Failing Economy,” published by the ABA’s Landslide magazine, as well as “Race is On to Recapture Copyrights,” published by The Tennessean.
Stephen has presented at conferences hosted by, among others, the Americana Music Festival; MusicBiz; the American Bar Association; the Tennessee Bar Association; the Nashville Bar Association; the PR Society of America; the Nashville Business Journal; Lipscomb University; Vanderbilt University; the Davidson County Judges; the House Democratic Caucus; PODCamp; and Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Stephen was born and raised in Nashville. He and his wife, an interior designer, have two children.
- Excellent, conscientious lawyer
Rated by a Partner in Litigation
- Excellent attorney. Have worked with on more than one occassion.
Rated by a Principal in Intellectual Property
- Mr. Zralek did an outstanding job in complex litigation involving land use and takings. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge, ability and artfulness in handling this difficult litigation.
Rated by a Judge in Litigation
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1997
- Dean's Citation for Outstanding Contributions
- Tennessee Law Review editorial board
- Xavier University, B.A., cum laude, 1994
- University Scholar
- Student Body President
- Alpha Sigma Nu officer
- Oxford University, Oriel College, 1996; Rowing Team
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- Tennessee Supreme Court